March 20, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes

I made these red velvet cupcakes for a women's conference at our church. My mom was in charge of hosting a table, and so she picked out the colors and decor for the lunch and asked me to make a dessert. I love the colors she chose, they are so spring-y! I used Justin's grandmother's recipe to make the cupcakes and the cream cheese frosting from scratch! I do not think I can ever have boxed cake again after having these. After frosting the cupcakes I decided they needed some color as well, so I used fondant to create the flowers on top of the cupcakes. 


Red Velvet Cake
(or cupcakes)
Ingredients for cake:
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cocoa
1 cup butter milk
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 tsp vinegar
2 eggs
1 oz red color

Ingredients for Frosting:
1 stick butter
8oz creme cheese
1 pound (or 3 cups) conf. sugar
1 cup pecans
1/2 tsp vanilla

Cake:
*Preheat oven to 325 degrees
1. Combine all dry ingredients and whisk together.
2. Combine all wet ingredients and mix together.
3. Add the WET ingredients to the DRY ingredients. (I'm used to adding the dry ingredients to the wet ones, so I had to make sure it did it right!)
4. Mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes and then pour into greased pans. Lightly drop the pan a few times on the counter to get out all the air bubbles from the batter. 
5. Bake for 25 mins, or until you are able to pass the toothpick test.

Frosting:
1. Mix together butter, cream cheese, and sugar.
2. Add vanilla and mix well.
3. Enjoy heaven on a spoon.
*Justin's sister told me that it was a good idea to double the frosting recipe, and boy was she right! This is hands down the best cream cheese frosting I have ever had.


No comments:

Post a Comment